We were invited to some friends' house for dinner last Sunday and I really wanted to bring something nice as a thank you. But I didn't have a lot of stuff on hand, so I culled this little number together based on my limited pantry offerings and, you know what? It turned out great! It's whole wheat, with a hint of cinnamon flavor in the cake, then topped with a rich orange buttercream frosting. I gave a couple of them to our sweet neighbors across the street and here's the message they posted on my Facebook timeline this morning: "Those vegan cupcakes were AMAZING!!! They were gone in about 2 seconds."
Yep. My work here is done...
1 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (or coffee liqueur)
1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour, or whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 12-cup muffin tin with paper baking cups.
- Put the teaspoon apple cider vinegar into a 1C measuring cup. Then pour the milk on top of it to fill the cup. Stir it gently and set it aside for a few minutes to allow it to curdle.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together all wet ingredients, including milk, as well as sugar.
- Gently dump all dry ingredients on top of your wet mixture. Do not stir until all dry ingredients are added. Then stir or mix gently, until just mixed. Do not overmix.
- Fill each baking cup 2/3 full. Bake for 20 to 23 minutes, until cupcake springs back when lightly touched.
1/4 cup vegan butter
1/4 cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
3 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons orange extract
2 tablespoons soy milk
Orange food dye, just a few drops (optional)
- Cream together butter and shortening until well mixed, and light and fluffy.
- Add 1 and a half cups of powdered sugar, and the orange extract, and mix well.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar, along with the milk and mix again.
- Add dye, a couple of drops at a time, if using.
- Only frost cupcakes when they are completely cooled.