October 29, 2012

Southwestern Black Bean Soup


I have my usual Autumn head-and-chest cold. I'll get another one sometime in January or February. It happens every single year, like clockwork. If the world ever goes to hell, and we lose our calendars, we can always tell the general month by when I get sick. Just remember that.
Needless to say, I haven't posted in a while. It's also needless to say "needless to say" but I like to say it. And I'm sick. So there.
The past few days have been a whirlwind of Tofurkey pizza, Amy's No-Chicken Noodle Soup with a side of vegan-buttered baguette, and hummus with chips and a side of kalamata olives. All of my favorite vegan comfort foods. The only thing missing is tabbouleh, dolmas, and candy. I need some sweets, people! And I'm too sick, and way too snotty and phlemmy and gross, to go anywhere near the kitchen and bake.
Can someone please send me a bucket of GoMaxGo bars??? I will put up a picture of you in my kitchen and pay homage to it daily. No, seriously, I will. *nods emphatically*

Needless to say (ha!), I didn't actually make this soup recently. I made it several days ago, when I was just starting to feel the ache in my sinuses. And I took one crappy picture (see photo above for evidence of craptastisity), then called it a day. But now I sure wish I had another big bowl of this stuff. It's so yummy! Very hearty, a bit spicy, with a stick-to-your-ribs quality that would really perk me up right now.

Go forth and make. Think of me while you're cooking. Think of where, in your city, you can purchase GoMaxGo bars at a decent price. Think of poor, sick, snotty Jen and how much she would enjoy some sweets. Email Jen for her mailing address. Stamp and send. Don't forget to include your picture! A drawing will suffice. Really, anything that I can pay daily homage to will suffice.
Oh wait! I can sweeten the deal. (I really, REALLY need some candy, dammit!) Any vegan bloggers who send me a GoMaxGo bar (or two or three...) will have a special feature right here on Bankrupt Vegan about their blog. I might even make a recipe or two and post the photos. You got it? Candy bars equal blog-love.

Now, go make this soup. It's totally bad ass.

1 large onion, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons Homemade Taco Seasoning
4 cups vegetable broth
1 15 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15-ounce can of whole kernel corn, drained and rinsed
1 15-ounce can of diced tomatoes, undrained
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
1 package Tofurkey Italian Sausage links, sliced and cooked (optional)
Salt and pepper, to taste
First, chop your vegetables and have them ready to go.
  • Preheat a large pot or Dutch oven. Add oil and allow it to heat up for a minute or so. 
  • Add vegetables and gently saute until they are cooked through. 
  • Add taco seasoning and stir to coat vegetables. 
  • Add broth, beans, corn, tomatoes, and tomato paste. Stir well. Add bay leaf and stir again. 
  • Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, for about half an hour.
  • Add cilantro leaves and allow to simmer a few more minutes.
  • If you're using the Italian Sausage, go ahead and slice it and cook it while you're soup is simmering. I just cook the slices in a little oil on a cast iron skillet until the edges are brown. Add it into the soup at the same time you add your cilantro.
  • Add salt and pepper, to taste.
  • Enjoy with a side of warmed and buttered corn tortillas.

No comments: