October 5, 2012

Easiest-Ever Hummus Quesadillas


My allergies are really buggin' me today, so I was looking for something quick and easy to whip up that would still qualify as healthy. Well, thanks to yesterday's Hep Halloween Hummus post, I have an abundance of yummy hummus to smear on any thing that will hold it. Today that thing was a whole wheat tortilla. I was going to stop there, but I suddenly got inspired! I sprinkled on some Daiya Cheddar, then some salsa. Then I grilled it all up on a cast-iron griddle and topped with a blob of Tofutti Sour Cream. It was fantastic! Don't you just love it when that happens?

Here's what the construction-in-progress version of my quesadilla looked like...


And here's Lila, all dolled up in her Dorothy-from-Kansas Halloween costume (she's gonna have that thing worn out before Halloween even gets here), chowing down on her quesadilla...


And, listen folks, I apologize if you get tired of seeing pictures of my kid. I just feel the need to prove to skeptical parents that children will actually eat this stuff and really enjoy it! I can't tell you how many times I've heard parents say stuff like, "My so-and-so will only eat french fries," and "I can't get so-and-so to eat a vegetable to save my life." Lila loves french fries too, but she eats plenty of other, really healthy stuff to balance the occasional intake of fries. Kids will eat vegetables, and they don't even need to be drowned in Ranch dressing. I promise! Sometimes you just have to get creative. Boy, riding this high horse really makes my butt hurt...
 
Anyway, here's how to piece that bad boy quesadilla together:

2 whole wheat tortillas (or whatever your favorite is)
3 tablespoons your favorite hummus, or more to taste
2 tablespoons your favororite salsa, or more to taste
A generous sprinkling of shredded vegan cheddar cheese
A dollop of vegan sour cream
  • Start your griddle heating up! I put mine on medium heat.
  • Smear the hummus on one tortilla.
  • Pile on cheese and salsa. You might want to use a spoon to spread the salsa around a bit.
  • Place the other tortilla on top.
  • Grill gently on a cast iron griddle or skillet. It doesn't take long, maybe just a minute on each side.
  • Cut with a pizza cutter while still on the griddle.
  • Place on a plate and top with vegan sour cream.
  • Enjoy!

No comments: