December 6, 2011

The Best Vegan Brownie You Will Ever Eat


Fudgy in the middle with a light layer of crust on top. Perfection! I've been tweaking and re-tweaking this recipe and I think I've found the perfect combination of ingredients to create brownie awesomeness. Oh yes, brownie awesomeness.
This recipe is for the basic brownie, but feel free to play around with it - top with walnuts, stir in some chocolate chips, or add some mint flavoring to the mix and sprinkle crushed peppermint sticks on the top to spice it up for the holidays.
And get ready! For what, you ask? For brownie awesomeness.
Yeah, you heard me.
BROWNIE. AWESOMENESS.
Make these right now. Trust me.

1/2 cup canola oil
2/3 cup water
2 cups granulated sugar
2 tablespoons flaxmeal
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or sub another cup all-purpose flour)
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted if lumpy.
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Grease and flour (or use baking spray in) a 9x13" baking pan.
  • Whisk together all dry ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
  • In a large, separate bowl beat together oil, water, sugar, vanilla, and flaxmeal on medium speed until very well mixed. 
  • Add dry mixture to wet. Stir or beat on low speed until just-mixed and smooth. Do not overmix, but don't undermix either. The batter will be thick but smooth.
  • Spread mixture evenly into your baking pan. 
  • Bake on middle oven rack for 25-30 minutes. Test with finger (don't burn yourself!). Top should be crusty, but innards should still have a little bit of "give."
  • Makes about 15 medium-sized brownies.
  • Enjoy!
NUTRITION INFO (per brownie):
Calories: 271.7 / Total Fat: 8.6g (Saturated Fat: 1g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.2g, Monounsaturated Fat: 4.5g) / Cholesterol: 0mg / Sodium: 111.3mg / Potassium: 99.5mg / Total Carbohydrates: 48.3g (Dietary Fiber: 4.6, Sugar: 26.8g) / Protein: 3.7g

Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes
Flying Apron's Gluten-Free and Vegan Baking Classics

10 comments:

Southern Purple Veggie said...

I am so excited to make this recipe, you had me at best vegan brownie.

Book and Cat Librarian said...

I plan on trying these!

Bella Sabbagh said...

I made these yesterday. They are amazingly good. Two non-vegan friends gave them their approval too. A great recipe.

David Yates said...

Hmm, not bad. I found them somewhat dry and thin. 9 x 13 seems somewhat large for this amount of batter. 9 x 9 might be too small, though. If anyone has any luck with the texture, I'd love to know the secret!

Freedom Fighter said...

I just made these and have let them cool and cut them into squares. I have to say....they came out exactly as you said they would....delicious!!

Freedom Fighter said...

























just made these and have let them cool and cut them into squares. I have to say....they came out exactly as you said they would....delicious!!

kellyfever said...

I just made a batch of vegan brownies using another recipe I found online. When they cooled, I bit into one and they were rock hard. I literally COULD NOT even break it in half with my hands. I threw them all away (sniffle sniffle) and found your recipe. I cooked them for about 19 minutes and they are ooey and gooey and delicious!! Thank you for such a great simple recipe! :)

nabu.lyfe said...

Very good! Dam good! I was amazed at how they came out. All this time I thought it was eggs that made the crunchy crust on top lol thank you!

Unknown said...

Can I lower the amount of oil? Is there something I can substitute the oil with? Or will it just affect the whole recipe?

Jennifer M. said...

If you want it to be the best vegan brownie you will ever eat, you have to leave in the oil. Substituting applesauce (even just a partial sub) will make them too cakey. This is, in no way, a healthy recipe. It's vegan, and it's delicious, but it ain't healthy. Sometimes you need sugar, fat and chocolate and this is it. Enjoy the calories. =)