October 1, 2012

Kale and Bean Soup



The perfect companion to a rainy day in autumn is this wonderfully rich and hearty kale soup. It's so healthy too - it just makes you feel all warm and cozy inside while you eat it. I like to dip a vegan-buttered slice of ciabatta baguette into mine (and by "a slice," naturally, I mean half a loaf of...)
It keeps great in the fridge too, so you can eat on it for several days. The kale starts to lose its rich color after a couple of re-heatings, but it still tastes great!

1 medium white onion, chopped

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch kale, stems removed and coarsely chopped
4 cups vegetable broth
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 15-ounce can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup water
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon paprika
Salt and pepper, to taste
Any of your favorite Italian seasonings (I used basil, parsley, oregano, marjoram, and thyme), to taste
  • In a large pot, saute onions, garlic in olive oil until tender. You can add a few splashes of water or vegetable broth as needed to prevent sticking.
  • Add the broth, kale, tomatoes, water, seasonings, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
  • Reduce heat, add beans, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 45 minutes. 
  • Discard bay leaf and serve.
  • Enjoy!
Note: If you can swing it, the addition of sliced and browned Tofurky Italian Sausage throws the soup right over the top!

10 comments:

Joey said...

Kale and beans are such a good combination - just makes you feel so much better about winter. Which is handy, as it's just turned up with full force in London - time to get some soup on!

mollyjade said...

That looks perfect for our weather right now!

Jen said...

my two favorites: kale and beans! catchy blog title, that's what piqued my curiosity. keep up the good work and happy mofo!

Unknown said...

looks awesome! I'm a first timer this year for Vegan MoFo looking forward to it!

GiGi said...

Perfect comfort food for the change of seasons. Any soup with kale is ohkale with me. bahaha ;)

GiGi said...

Perfect comfort food for the change of seasons.

Anonymous said...

That looks like pure comfort in a bowl. Glad to see you're posting again!

MisSy `ala* FriBBLe~ [ i Veg 2 Differ.com ] said...

OMG, I made this today. So freaking AWESOME!!! I left out the paprika (because I forgot) but instead added some red pepper flakes, sea salt, pepper, thyme, and a few splashes of red wine. I used fired roasted garlicky tomatoes and pink beans instead because that was what I had on hand. oh and extra garlic cloves.... I always add extra garlic cloves to recipes.

Then for dinner tonight I made some linguini with boring ol jarred sauce but then added a few scoops of this soup to my pasta dish. MIND BLOWING!!! I had to force myself to stop eating it and pack the leftovers into the fridge because I was so full and wanted to have some for lunch the next day. But dang it was tasty!!!!

THANKS FOR SHARING THIS!!! It is a keeper and a "starting to wilt" Kale life saver!!!

Jennifer M. said...

Thanks so much! I'm glad you liked it. Comments like this really make my day. =)

MisSy `ala* FriBBLe~ [ i Veg 2 Differ.com ] said...

LOL, YAY, knowing I made someone's day makes my day!!!!!! :)