October 30, 2012

Mummified Corn Dawgs


Aren't these too cute?! I can't take credit for the idea. There are actually dozens of versions of this recipe floating around the internet. This one is from the gorgeous blog, Fork and Beans.

Here's the original post: 

As you can see, her mummy-bandage work is much more sophisticated than mine, but in my defense this was my first try. And, when it comes to mummies, I can work miracles with a roll of toilet paper and some tape! Just ask my kid.

Here's her recipe:

1/2 c. corn meal
1/2 c. gluten-free all purpose flour mix
1 Tb sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup non-dairy milk + 1/2 Tb apple cider vinegar
2 Tb oil
3 Tb. cornstarch (for coating)
4 gf/vegan tofu pups
4 lollipop sticks
Vegetable oil for frying (approx 2 quarts)
1/2 c. Veganaise “mayo” (placed in a squeeze bottle)
Mustard (for the Mummies’ eyes)
  • Heat up oil in a deep fryer or in a pot until it reaches 350 degrees (takes 5-7 minutes to heat up approx).
  • Roll each hot dog into the cornstarch, creating a thin layer to coat prior to dipping into batter.
  • Place a stick into each of the hot dogs and set on a plate.
  • Combine the corn meal, flour, salt, baking soda and powder together.
  • Add milk + vinegar mix, and oil into dry ingredients mix.
  • Dip each hot dog on a stick into the batter. Place into hot oil and cook 3 minutes or until nicely browned.
  • Place on a paper towel-lined plate to soak up the excess oil.
  • Using the squeeze bottle filled with Veganaise, create lines on the corn dog like mummy bandages.
  • Squirt mustard for the eyes.
JEN'S NOTES:
  • I used black sesame seeds for the irises in my mummies' eyes.
  • This recipe definitely tasted good, but the batter was thick and crumbly. In the future I think I may try this with Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Beer Batter. It holds together well, and it tastes amazing. Also, I'm addicted to it, so yeah...
  • I may also try to make "bloody bandages" with ketchup the next time I do this. I think the taste would be complimentary.
Before you run off to make these mummified treats, please pay a visit to my new geek blog, JEN THE GEEK! It's brand-spankin' new so the posts are limited. But I'll be working on it regularly, when I'm not cookin' up the vegan grub.

1 comment:

Candy Beans said...

These are so cute! I'll have to try this with my stepdaughter.