September 22, 2012

Homemade Taco Seasoning


In my experience, the best way to save money is by doing stuff yourself instead of paying someone to do it for you. I'm sure that might have elicited a few "d'uhs" from the crowd, but I felt it was worth saying. I mean, why pay a corporation to slap a fancy label on a spray bottle of chemically-toxic window cleaner when you can squirt some vinegar on the glass and get the same result, minus the lung irritation?

So, I'm going to intermittently start posting DIY-style recipes for all kinds of great stuff, particularly stuff that leeches money out of your wallet unnecessarily. From cleaning products to spice mixes, just keep tuning in and start taking notes. I've got some great ideas to share with you!

To start with, here's an easy recipe for homemade taco seasoning. The ingredients are inexpensive and you can make up a nice big bowl of this stuff for what you might pay for just a few packets of the store-bought mess, and you won't have to worry about MSG and anti-caking agents. It's a win-win!

2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Here's what the finished product will look like.
  • I recommend sprinkling in about 3 tablespoons of seasoning per pound of veggie crumbles, and maybe drop in a teaspoon or two of water as well. 
  • Enjoy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is great-thanks! Is this a spicy version? Or is it mild? 2TBS of chili powder sounds like a lot, but I know it is all mixed together so it is hard to judge without tasting it...

Courtney

Jennifer M. said...

To me, this is pretty mild. It has a slight kick, but doesn't burn up your mouth. I'm a real wimp about peppers' heat, but I like the flavor. Maybe try just one tablespoon of chili powder first, to see how it suits you. You can always sprinkle in more if you need to.

Vic Robinson said...

I am so glad you posted this! It is pretty close to what I use for mine as well but never thought about posting it! A great idea!

http://haymarket8.blogspot.com

Kirsten Lindquist said...

I'm a DIYer too! Love your blog!

Kirsten Lindquist said...

I'm a DIYer (and VeganMoFoer) too! Love your blog

Unknown said...

Thank for sharing this. This is so much better then buying the store bought stuff.