September 3, 2010

Best Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies EVER!


I am still on the hunt for the best vegan brownies, but I am happy to say that my search for the best vegan chocolate chip cookie is officially OVER! I have tried every recipe from here to Santa Fe and none of them have really ever been up to snuff. But I stumbled across this recipe at SuperVegan.com and I fell in love with it immediately. The ingredients are simple and pure, the method easy, and the taste divine. Give them a try. My whole family loved them so much, they were requested twice in one weekend! So, I went ahead and doubled it here for you. Trust me, you will not be disappointed. Here's what you need to do...

4 tablespoons ground flax seed
6 tablespoons warm water
2 1/2 cup organic unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 cup organic brown sugar
1/2 cup organic white sugar
1 cup Earth Balance butter, softened
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
  • Whisk together your flax seed and warm water in a small bowl. Set aside.
  • Sift your flour, baking soda and salt together into a large bowl. Set that aside.
  • Go back to your small bowl with the flax seed. Stir in the sugars, butter, and vanilla by hand until well-mixed.
  • Make a well in the dry flour mixture and pour your wet mixture into it. Then gently stir everything together by hand until just-blended. Do not overmix.
  • Gently fold in chocolate chips. Mix will be crumbly - just bear with it.
  • Use a well-rounded teaspoon or tablespoon, or a cookie scoop (which is what I used) and place cookie dough 2-inches apart on ungreased sheet.
  • Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until nice and golden brown.
  • Makes two dozen cookies.
  • Enjoy!
NUTRITION INFO (per cookie): 
Calories: 222.7 / Total Fat: 10.8g (Saturated Fat: 4.4g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.0g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2.8g) / Cholesterol: 0mg / Sodium: 134.6mg / Potassium: 37.7mg / Total Carbohydrates: 33.2g (Dietary Fiber: 1.4g, Sugar: 19.1g) / Protein: 2.6g

    8 comments:

    Unknown said...

    I love this recipe. I'm not a fan of using the egg replacer.

    Anonymous said...

    Thank so much for posting this! I have been eating my roommates conventional cookie dough. Blah. These cookies are badly needed in my life!

    Unknown said...

    I have a recipe for double fudge chocolate chip cookies that I would love to share with you. Here's a little tip, if you replace a bit of the conventional flour with oat flour and quick oats you get a wonderfully chewy and healthier cookie. A bit of dark chocolate is awesome as well.

    Jennifer M. said...

    I would love to try that recipe!
    Lay it on me.
    And thanks for the tip!

    Epicurean Vegan said...

    I'm always looking for different chocolate chip cookie recipes--looks great!

    jrcycle15 said...

    Tried this today. I don't know if it's me, but I just can't get this cooking thing down. My dough was really dry and I had to add some soymilk to get it into a creamy/doughy substance. Also, how to you keep the bottom of the cookies from burning where the chocolate chips are melting? That's probably just a cookie sheet issue. They're tasty but not as chewy as I thought they would be. I also used some unsweetened applesauce to replace the butter.

    Jennifer M. said...

    Hmmmm... Well, I've never had a problem with the cookies burning. That might be, like you said, a baking sheet issue. Although I just use standard baking sheets, nothing fancy. And I always bake on the top rack.
    The dough consistency is a bit dry (maybe I should make a note of that). You just have to bear with it when scooping. Adding the soy milk will alter the final product. And the applesauce will definitely make it less chewy and more cakey. I recommend trying it with the Earth Balance butter next time. If that doesn't work out, let me know.
    Good luck!

    Unknown said...

    Great recipe! I make them exactly as specified, but I scoop teaspoon sized cookies (2" flat circles when baked) and it yields about 5 dozen! They freeze well too. No one can believe they are vegan.