I am still on the hunt for the best vegan brownies, but I am happy to say that my search for the best vegan chocolate chip cookie is officially OVER! I have tried every recipe from here to Santa Fe and none of them have really ever been up to snuff. But I stumbled across this recipe at SuperVegan.com and I fell in love with it immediately. The ingredients are simple and pure, the method easy, and the taste divine. Give them a try. My whole family loved them so much, they were requested twice in one weekend! So, I went ahead and doubled it here for you. Trust me, you will not be disappointed. Here's what you need to do...
4 tablespoons ground flax seed
6 tablespoons warm water
2 1/2 cup organic unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 cup organic brown sugar
1/2 cup organic white sugar
1 cup Earth Balance butter, softened
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Whisk together your flax seed and warm water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Sift your flour, baking soda and salt together into a large bowl. Set that aside.
- Go back to your small bowl with the flax seed. Stir in the sugars, butter, and vanilla by hand until well-mixed.
- Make a well in the dry flour mixture and pour your wet mixture into it. Then gently stir everything together by hand until just-blended. Do not overmix.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips. Mix will be crumbly - just bear with it.
- Use a well-rounded teaspoon or tablespoon, or a cookie scoop (which is what I used) and place cookie dough 2-inches apart on ungreased sheet.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until nice and golden brown.
- Makes two dozen cookies.
NUTRITION INFO (per cookie):Calories: 222.7 / Total Fat: 10.8g (Saturated Fat: 4.4g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.0g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2.8g) / Cholesterol: 0mg / Sodium: 134.6mg / Potassium: 37.7mg / Total Carbohydrates: 33.2g (Dietary Fiber: 1.4g, Sugar: 19.1g) / Protein: 2.6g