October 3, 2012

Pico De Gallo with Zucchini


Well, it's time to use up the last of the summer zucchini, and I don't know about you guys but I cannot eat another bite of zucchini bread. I love the stuff, but there's only so much you can make and eat in one summer... 
Oh, who am I kidding? I can always eat another bite of zucchini bread! 
Really, I was just looking for a creative way to get my "zuke vites." That's what I call the vitamins from zucchini. This is a throwback from ten years ago when I worked at Starbucks and the button on the cash register for zucchini bread said simply, "ZUKE LOAF." So, my coworkers and I would quip, in a thick Italian accent, "You look thin! Come inta the kitchen and have some ah ya mutha's zuke loaf." It still makes me chuckle to say it. 
Anyway, try out this pico de gallo recipe. I literally never measure my ingredients when I make pico de gallo. I just start throwing stuff in and then I adjust the ingredients to taste. So, this recipe is really just a starting point. You will need to taste it a lot as you make it, and adjust as you go. If you're going to be eating it with tortilla chips (is there any other way??) then you will want to taste it with a chip as you make it. The salt from the chip is more than adequate to salt your pico, in my opinion. If you don't intend to eat it with chips, you might need a bit more salt.

8 to 12 Roma tomatoes, chopped
Half a white onion, chopped
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely minced
2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
A generous handful of fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
Lime juice, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
  • Toss everything into a bowl and stir. Easy peasy.
  • I recommend covering with and airtight lid and allowing it to chill in the fridge for a few hours before eating. You don't have to do this, but I find that after it sits a while and the flavors mingle together, it tastes even more fantastic.
  • Enjoy!

5 comments:

Veronica said...

Mmmm, looks good!

Anonymous said...

All summer I complained about the piles of zucchini covering my kitchen counter and now that the bounty is gone...Well, I don't miss the piles actually, but I think putting zuke in pico de gallo is pretty darn delicious.

jd said...

I love the fact that you added zucchini to your pico - genius! Oh, & next time you hit your zucchini bread limit, feel free to send some my way! ;)

kimbelina said...

Mmm... I'll have to try this!

dreaminitvegan said...

Fresh pico is so good. Great job.