December 7, 2009

Zucchini Quesadillas with Corn andBlack Bean Salsa


This is our go-to meal when we're in a hurry. It's especially quick and easy if, like me, you keep veritable troffs of hummus and salsa on hand in the fridge. We are a family who likes to snack, and I don't want anyone running to get junk food because there isn't something that doesn't require loads of preparation in the kitchen. Yesterday my husband called and said, "I'm on my way home for lunch!" He works less than 5 miles from the house, so I didn't have much time. And the picture you see above is what I made. Super easy and cheap! Here's how to do it...

First, you need to visit my Cheap-O Hummus recipe. Make it and stick it in the fridge. And trust me on this - just keep it on hand all the time. It's so inexpensive, healthy and tasty, it's the perfect grabby snack. And it can be used in a lot of quick recipes. So, when you start to run low, just go ahead and make more. Seriously.


CORN AND BLACK BEAN SALSA
(a.k.a. World's Easiest Salsa Recipe)
This salsa was literally born yesterday from the ashes of my dwindling weekend pantry. By the time Sunday rolled around, you could practically see cobwebs forming in my kitchen cupboards. But it's okay because I discovered a simple new salsa and it was really, really tasty! I'll definitely be making this one again.
Necessity is the mother of invention, right?

1 can corn, drained
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 white onion, chunky dice (save the other half for Tasty Tofu Scramble)
3-5 roma tomatoes, chunky dice
2-4 garlic cloves, to taste, minced
1/2 T paprika
1/4 C lime juice
salt and pepper to taste
Throw everything* in a bowl and mix it together.

*December 8th, 2009: I made the salsa again today, but I added a handful of fresh chopped cilantro, and it was amazing! I highly recommend.

 
ZUCCHINI-HUMMUS QUESADILLAS
As many corn tortillas as you care to eat.
As much hummus as you care to spread on 'em.
Store-bought salsa (I used the Target brand)
1 zucchini, diced (these are pricy, so I only used half)
Several stalks of green onion, diced
  • Warm a skillet over medium heat.
  • Spread hummus, salsa, zucchini and onion onto corn tortilla.
  • Cover with another corn tortilla and place on skillet.
  • Allow a little time for zucchini to soften (it doesn't take as long as you might think), flip after a minute or so. I usually take the quesadilla off the heat when both sides have a few yummy golden brown spots on them.
  • Cut into quarters and serve.

    No comments: