December 17, 2009

"Noggy" Christmas Brownies


I'm still experimenting with my brownie recipes. I have yet to succeed with what I truly feel is the "perfect" vegan brownie. They're all either too cakey, too oily or too crumbly. But, slowly - oh, so slowly - I'm getting there... And the stuff I'm coming up with in the meantime isn't exactly putting me off of chocolate. So, here's my latest invention! A basic cocoa brownie enhanced with a bit of soy-nog and nutmeg to give it that holiday "noggy" flavor. The flavor is definitely subtle, but it's there. Some rum would probably throw these brownies right over the top, but I can't afford it, so we're keeping this very Bankrupt Vegan-esgue for now. And, by the way, these are perfect with coffee. Here's the recipe:

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups soy-nog
1/2 cup oil (I used sunflower)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Lightly coat the inside a 9 x 13" pan with baking spray.
  • Throw all ingredients into a bowl and stir 'em together. Easy!
  • Pour mixture into pan, place in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
  • Test with toothpick to make sure it's done.
  • And, while it's baking, do what I do and lick the bowl out with a spatula. Yum.

    No comments: