Macaroni-and-cheese has been long revered as a comfort food. But, just because you're eating vegan, it doesn't mean you have to go without when you've had a crappy day, you have a big zit, or your favorite TV show has been canceled (r.i.p. King of the Hill). This dish is an amazing substitute for the old mac-n-cheese standard, and it's super quick and easy to make. Get your favorite pajamas, a warm comfy blanket and a good DVD ready, because you're really going to crave them once this comfort food feast hits your tummy.
1 lb. elbow macaroni noodles
1 1/2 cups unsweetened soy milk
1 cup water
1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cup nutritional yeast ("nooch")
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 box silken firm tofu
1/2 cup Japanese bread crumbs
2 tablespoons Vegan Parmesan Cheese
1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare noodles according to package directions.
- In blender combine all ingredients (except noodles and toppings)
- Pour liquid mixture over cooked noodles and stir together.
- Put the whole mess into a big casserole dish.
- Stir toppings together in a separate bowl until well-mixed.
- Evenly spread topping onto casserole.
- Stick in the oven for 20- 30 minutes, until topping is golden brown.
- Makes 12 big servings.