This delicious dish came about completely by accident when I was trying to make my classic Creamy Mac N "Nooch" Casserole and discovered that I had run out of soy sauce. Instead of dashing to store to buy some, I made a few adjustments and turned out what tastes like something you'd eat at a country barbecue picnic. It was really yummy! Give it a try.
1 lb macaroni noodles (quinoa elbows work great!)
1 1/2 cups unsweetened soy milk
1 cup veggie or no-chicken broth
1/2 cup vegetable oil (or whichever oil you prefer)
1 1/2 cups nutritional yeast ("nooch")
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
1/8 cup fresh or dried parsley (optional)
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 box silken firm or extra-firm tofu
1/2 cup Japanese bread crumbs5 slices of cooked vegan bacon, chopped
Dash of cayenne pepper
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare noodles according to package directions.
- In blender combine all ingredients (except noodles, bacon and bread crumbs)
- Pour liquid mixture over cooked noodles and stir together.
- Put the whole mess into a casserole dish and top with bread crumbs and chopped bacon
- Stick in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove and enjoy.