Forget store-bought granola bars. They're overpriced and junky. These granola squares are healthy, super-easy to concoct, and make your whole house smell amazing while they bake!
2 C old-fashioned oats
3/4 C toasted wheat germ
3/4 C chopped walnuts
3/4 C raisins
1/2 C maple syrup or agave nectar
1/2 C canola or vegetable oil
2 Tbsp sucanat (packed light brown sugar will work too)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1 Tbsp flax meal
4 Tbsp warm water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Coat a 9 x 13" baking pan with non-stick baking spray, or lightly oil and flour the pan.
- In a small bowl, combine flax meal and water. Stir until no lumps are present. Allow to sit for a few minutes until the mixture forms a soft gel.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in a large bowl and stir until well-mixed.
- Add flax meal mixture to large bowl and combine all ingredients.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking pan and bake, uncovered, for 30 - 35 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Do not cut until mixture has cooled.