If you're really daring, pile in some corn chips for an old-fashioned Southern Frito Pie.
1/8 C olive oil
1 medium white or yellow onion, diced
2-4 cloves of garlic, minced, to taste
1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes
1 15oz can black beans, drained
1 15oz can kidney beans, drained
1 15oz can pinto beans, drained
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp all-purpose seasoning (I used Simply Organic)
1/2 tsp powdered cocoa (just trust me on this)
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
dash of ground black pepper
vegan cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan or skillet. Add onions and garlic, cook until soft.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until desired consistency is reached. I usually let it simmer for about half an hour, but you probably don't have to wait that long if you're really starving!
- Ladle into bowls and top with shredded vegan cheddar, to taste.