Yeah, baby! These macaroons are vegan, gluten-free, and free of refined sugars. And they are fantastic with hot tea. I feel very British while eating these and sipping my organic black tea. It makes me want invite Rupert Giles over for a chat about the current state of the Hellmouth.
I come from a long line of deeply Southern women, who were descended from a long line of deeply Irish women. British I am not. But, delicious these macaroons are! Hey, that sounded more Yoda than British, didn't it?
Anyway, here's how to make 'em...
3 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer
4 tablespoons water
1/4 cup coconut milk (the canned stuff)
1/2 cup agave nectar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Lightly oil a medium baking sheet, or spray with baking spray. Set aside.
- Mix egg replacer and water in a large bowl and whisk together until all lumps are gone.
- Add coconut milk, agave nectar, salt, flour and baking powder. Mix well.
- Fold in coconut until well distributed throughout.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonful (or use a small cookie scoop) onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Keep an eye on your cookies for the last few minutes, and pull them out if they're getting too dark around the edges.
- Transfer gently to a wire rack for cooling.
- Makes 24 cookies.
NUTRITION INFO (per cookie):Calories: 88.2 / Total Fat: 3.9g (Saturated Fat: 0.4g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g, Monounsaturated Fat: 0g) / Cholesterol: 0mg / Sodium: 20.6mg / Potassium: 5.5mg / Total Carbohydrates: 13g (Dietary Fiber: 0.9g, Sugar: 4.1g) / Protein: 1g