I bought three clamshells of blackberries several weeks ago when they went on sale for a dollar apiece, and I chucked them right into the freezer to await the day when I would find a use for them. Today, my friends, is that day!
Try this yummy crumb cake on for size...
1 cup vegan butter, softened (I recommend Earth Balance)
1 cup organic sugar
1/2 cup agave nectar
4 1/2 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer
1/4 cup water
1 cup plain soy yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 1/2 cups gluten-free all purpose flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
18 ounces fresh or frozen blackberries
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup unpacked organic brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together butter, sugar and agave in a large bowl until light and fluffy. This may take several minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg replacer and water until no lumps remain. Add to the large bowl and combine with creamed butter and sugar mixture. Set aside.
- Use the egg replacer bowl to whisk together yogurt, vanilla, lemon extract and lemon juice.
- And, in yet another medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add flour and yogurt mixtures to the large bowl. Mix well.
- Gently fold in the blackberries.
- Pour batter into a greased 9x13" pan. Use a spatula to even it out.
- Use your flour bowl to mix your toppings together. Then gently shake them out onto your cake batter in the pan.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or longer if needed. Use a knife to test the cake in the center of the pan. When it comes out clean, your cake is done. Watch cake closely during the last 10-15 minutes of baking.
- Allow to cool at least 10 minutes before slicing.
- Makes 12 servings.
NUTRITION INFO (per serving):Calories: 386.90 / Total Fat: 22.5g (Saturated Fat: 6.0g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 10.1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 6.2g) / Cholesterol: 0mg / Sodium: 387.8mg / Potassium: 97.8mg / Total Carbohydrates: 44.7g (Dietary Fiber: 4.7g, Sugar: 19.5g) / Protein: 4.6g