Oh my Lord, people. My life just got seriously better because I tasted this cheese sauce. It is AMAZING! And, guess what, it's two main ingredients are carrots and potatoes. Seriously!
How do carrots and potatoes come together to chemically formulate what is easily the best-tasting vegan cheese sauce I've ever stuffed into my face? Is it magic? Some kind of medieval sorcery? I don't know, but I am so grateful!
2 cups peeled, cubed, boiled, drained potatoes (about 2-2 1/2 medium potatoes)
1 cup peeled, chopped, boiled, drained carrots (about 3 medium carrots)
1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1/3 cup canola or extra virgin olive oil*
1/3 cup water or vegetable broth
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
1/2 teaspoon turmeric, or more to taste
1/2 teaspoon chili powder, or more to taste
Unsweetened non-dairy milk of choice, to taste
- Place all ingredients into a high-powered blender** and blend. It's just that simple! Put your drained carrots and potatoes into the blender right after you drain them, while they're still piping hot, so your cheese will be piping hot too.
- As you're blending, drizzle in some milk to help thin it out a bit, if you want to.
- Can be stored in the fridge, in an airtight container (I'm not sure how long because we always eat it up pretty quickly), for a few days, perhaps?
- *I'm working on figuring out a way to reduce the oil in this recipe. It's way too much, I know. I'll keep fiddling with it and get back to you.
- **If you don't have a high-powered blender (I sure don't), you might want to liquify in a food processor first, then transfer to a blender and drizzle in the milk while blending, to keep your little $20 blender from overheating.