November 27, 2011

Review - PureFit Nutrition Bars

I was recently asked by the company that produces PureFit Nutrition Bars to sample and honestly review their product.
Free nutrition bars, you say? I'm listening...
The thing that really drew my interest was the fact that the website promotes these bars as "the all-natural, gluten-free and wheat-free, dairy-free, vegan, kosher, high in protein, diabetic-friendly, that tastes great nutrition bar." Wow! That meets all of my ideal criteria in one generously-sized bar! So, I just had to try them.

As I perused the nutritional information for the bars, provided on the PureFit website, I was really elated to find that each individual bar contains 18 grams of protein, but is only between 210-220 calories for the whole thing. You think high protein, you think fatty things like nut butters and the like, which generally means lots of ass-fattening calories. The first ingredient listed in the nutritional information is soy protein isolate, with soy nuts, almonds, and nut butters listed further down the line. They also make the claim, on their website, that all of their soy products are from non-GMO sources. Winning!

So, all of the criteria for a discerning, label-reading vegan are there. The big test remaining, then, was "Does it taste good?"
The answer is an overwhelming, "Yes!" And, trust me, I've tasted enough nutrition bars to know what a good one tastes like. The general consensus on most commercially produced bars is that the chalky texture and the list of creepy chemical ingredients, along with the over-inflated price, are usually enough to keep me and my family away from them. But these bars actually taste good. I have to say, I was honestly surprised by the smooth texture and the flavor. The ingredient list is short, and every item in it is recognizable, which is a wonderful thing in the world of nutrition bars. So, even if they tasted gross, I would have eaten them just for the nutritional value. But they weren't gross at all!

The company sent me one bar in each of the five available flavors: Peanut Butter Crunch, Chocolate Brownie, Almond Crunch, Berry Almond Crunch, and Granola Crunch. I will say that there really isn't much actual "crunch" to the bars with Crunch in the title, but they tasted great so I didn't mind.
I assumed that Almond Crunch and Peanut Butter Crunch would be my favorites, and they were good, but oddly I preferred the Chocolate Brownie and Berry Almond Crunch flavors the most. I say "oddly" because I generally don't like brownie-flavored and berry-flavored bars. If I were shopping for these on my own, I probably would have passed these flavors by, but they were my favorites! So, I'm really happy that I was able to sample them all first, and I didn't miss out on something so yummy.
My least favorite was the Granola Crunch. It wasn't bad, by any means. It was just my personal least favorite of the five flavors. It was more plain-tasting than the others, so if you're looking for something to pair with a sweet coffee, it might be just right!

If you want to try these bars yourself, you can purchase a sample pack at PureFit.com, containing a full size bar in each flavor, for only $9.95. You can also purchase 15-count boxes of each flavor at the PureFit website.

But, between you and me (this is "Bankrupt Vegan," after all), you can get the boxes at a bit of a discount on Amazon.com - here are the links...
PureFit Nutrition Bars - Chocolate Brownie
PureFit Nutrition Bars - Berry Almond Crunch
PureFit Nutrition Bars - Peanut Butter Crunch
PureFit Nutrition Bars - Almond Crunch
(I couldn't find Granola Crunch, so you're on your own with that one. Sorry.)

Give these bars a try. They are really yummy, full of good stuff, and give you a nice little burst of energy, which is really important if - like me - you are chasing a three-year-old around your house all day. I will definitely continue to enjoy these bars and I now rank them among my favorites, which include KIND Barsand, of course, the always fabulous Lara Bars.
And, just so you know, this is an honest review. If the PureFit Bar had sucked, I would have told you so. I'm just Irish like that.

Please CLICK HERE to read my full Disclosure Statement.

No comments: