I know, I know... We 'Bankrupt Vegans' can't afford Daiya cheese. And that hasn't changed. Daiya is expensive! Before today, I had never tried it. But, you will flip when I tell you that I found full-size bags of Daiya cheddar at the salvage store two days ago for one dollar each. One dollar! I bought ten bags! And I'm really glad I did because I fell in love with it at first bite.
Since that purchase, I have played with it non-stop. I've made no-turkey melts, chik'n nachos, and these delicious simple nachos that were soo, sooooo good. Now you might be saying, "Well, Jen, how on earth did you afford that fancy guacamole?" I'll tell ya! A few days ago, Kroger had organic Wholly Guacamole packs (normally around 5 dollars apiece) on a "Buy One, Get One Free" sale, and I had two different coupons for a dollar off, which I stacked to get two Wholly Guacamoles for only 3 bucks! Yep, we are livin' large at the Bankrupt Vegan house right now!
Make these super-easy nachos and see what I mean...
14 Baked Tostito's Scoops
1 white mushroom cap, sliced in thick pieces
1/4 cup Daiya cheddar
1/4 cup homemade or store-bought guacamole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put your Tostito's Scoops on a plate.
- Fill each Scoop evenly with Daiya cheddar. A little goes a long way, trust me!
- Put a slice of mushroom into each scoop, on top of the cheese.
- Bake for about five minutes, until the mushroom cap is nicely cooked and the cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven, and put a little pinch of guacamole into each Scoop.
- Makes one serving.
- This is, obviously, a very versatile and easy recipe. To liven it up, add Gardein chick'n pieces, LightLife Mexican style crumbles, roasted veggies, pico de gallo, or just about anything else.
Calories: 394 / Total Fat: 24.1g (Saturated Fat: 5.5g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1.0g) / Cholesterol: 0mg / Sodium: 615.7mg / Potassium: 56.5mg / Total Carbohydrate: 38.6g (Dietary Fiber: 9.2g, Sugar: 0.3g) / Protein: 6.6g