Yeah, yeah, I know - it ain't exactly on my diet. But sometimes you just neeeeeed chocolate. You know what I mean? And, since I was lucky enough to find Vegan Gourmet Cream Cheese on sale at two for a dollar recently, I stocked up. Thus, cream cheese cashew brownie pie was born.
I adapted this recipe from the 'Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Brownies' recipe in Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar, a must-have cookbook for vegans of every culinary ilk! Grab the cupcake cookbook too - it never fails.
If you can't afford the cashews, leave them out, or feel free to use whatever nuts you have on hand.
And, if you can't afford the cream cheese, just make plain ol' brownies!
Top with blueberries, chocolate chips, powdered sugar, chocolate sauce, sifted cocoa, or nothing at all. They will taste fantastic!
Here's how to make 'em...
3 ounces firm silken tofu
1/4 cup non-dairy milk
1/2 cup canola oil
2/3 cup agave nectar (or 1 cup of sugar)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted cashews, chopped
CREAM CHEESE TOPPING
8 ounces vegan cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup agave (or 1/2 cup sugar)
2 tablespoons arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees, and lightly grease a 9-inch pie plate.
- Make the brownie mix first. Puree tofu, milk, and oil in a blender until smooth and fluffy. Transfer tofu mixture to a mixing bowl, and add the vanilla and agave nectar. Beat or stir until smooth. Sift in dry ingredients, then mix until smooth. Pour into pie plate and set aside.
- If you're adding the cashews (or any nut of your choice), spread them gently on top of your brownie batter.
- Now make the cream cheese topping. Cream together the cream cheese and agave until smooth. Add the arrowroot powder, flour, and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Gently spread over the brownie batter with a rubber spatula until brownies are covered.
- If you are planning to sprinkle the top with chocolate chips, or more nuts, go ahead and do that now.
- Place in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Allow brownies to sit on the counter until cool enough to touch. Then cover and place in refrigerator overnight. Yep, you're going to have to wait for it. I probably should have warned you about that earlier on, but it will be worth it. I promise!
- Once cream cheese topping has set, feel free to add a light sifting of cocoa powder, fruit, powdered sugar, or anything else that suits your fancy.
- Slice just like you would a pie.
- Makes 8 servings.