These are super-duper healthy and tasty good. I only used 1/4 cup of maple syrup to sweeten, so they're refined sugar-free and, thank to the flax seed, full of fiber and omega 3's. I adapted this recipe from one I found in my Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food cookbook and I'm so glad I did! The whole family loved them - my daughter kept shoving a bite into her mouth and then running out of the room. I take that as a toddler thumbs up! Here's my adapted recipe...
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
2/3 cup plain soy milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups grated carrot
3/4 cup raisins soaked in warm water for 10 minutes and drained
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin pan with oil or line with paper baking cups
- Mix the flours, flax seed, baking soda and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Create a small well in the center and add agave nectar, soy milk, oil and vanilla.
- Hand-stir until smooth.
- Fold in the carrots, raisins and walnuts.
- Fill the muffin tins three-quarters full. (I used a large cookie scoop)
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Enjoy with vegan butter! Delicious!
The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes
The Joy of Vegan Baking