I am experimenting with some new recipes for Thanksgiving dinner since the majority of the preparation will fall to me this year. And I want it to be fabulous! Try this twice-baked sweet potato and see what you think. This recipe is for a single potato, so if you want more, just ramp up the ingredients to match the number of potatoes you're using. Here's how to do it...
1 large sweet potato
1 tablespoon vegan butter (I recommend Earth Balance)
1 tablespoon non-hydrogenated vegan cream cheese
1 tablespoon vegan sour cream
2 tablespoons brown sugar (organic preferred), divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
Dash of cinnamon
- First you need to bake that 'tater. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and gently scrub the 'tater down to remove any dirt or funk. Poke it a few times with a fork to allow steam to escape, then place it on a baking sheet and into the oven. Cook it for about 45 minutes until its innards are soft. You can gently squeeze it while wearing an oven mitt to test.
- I like to set my 'taters in an open windowsill to cool off for about 15 or 20 minutes. Once the 'tater is cool enough to handle, slice off a bit of skin from the top and set aside.
- Scoop out the innards into a large bowl and mash them until nice and creamy. Then add all ingredients, except 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Once it's all mixed together, gently spoon the mixture back into your 'tater. Top with 1 tablespoon brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake in a 425 degree oven for 15 minutes.
Calories: 381.3 / Total Fat: 15.8g (Saturated Fat: 4.8g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.2g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2.5g) / Cholesterol: 0.0mg / Sodium: 831.0mg / Potassium: 920.4mg / Total Carbohydrates: 64.7g (Dietary Fiber: 8.3g, Sugar: 39.2g) / Protein: 4.6g