With avocados at an all-time low in my town right now (45 cents each!!), I am avo-crazy. I'm having fresh guacamole for lunch every day, and piling avocados on top of everything but my oatmeal. They're so good for you, and just plain yummy delicious! With the addition of avocado slices, these breakfast tacos are easy, filling and perfect for summer! Try them and see for yourself...
8 corn tortillas
Half an avocado, sliced (save the rest for guac!)
One large Roma tomato, diced
1/4 large onion, or half a small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 block firm or extra firm tofu, cubed
6 or 7 white mushrooms, sliced
1/8 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Dash of cayenne
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Go ahead and slice, dice, cube and mince all of your ingredients and set aside. Have them ready to go.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onions and garlic, and saute until tender.
- Add tofu. Add water a tablespoon at a time, if needed, to keep tofu from sticking. Saute for a few minutes, then add your mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms have softened, but take care not to overcook them.
- Add all remaining ingredients except avocado, tomatoes and tortillas. Saute for several minutes, then cover and reduce heat to low.
- While the tofu mixture is simmering, heat up your corn tortillas in a cast iron skillet over medium-low heat. I do mine one at a time to give them that perfect soft-cooked texture, then I put them on top of the lid that my tofu is simmering under to stay warm.
- Once the tofu and tortillas are done, plate them by spooning about a half a cup of tofu mixture into a tortilla, then top with one avocado slice (or more, to taste) and a sprinkling of tomatoes.
- "Mmmm-mmmm..." Enjoy!
P.S. If you haven't done it already, don't forget to enter the giveaway for a $40 gift card to CSN Stores online!