I had a couple of leeks about to buy the farm a few days ago, so I made up this soup completely on the fly and it turned out great! It's thick and creamy, with a "cheezy" and onion-y tasting base. My husband loved it. Give it a try!
1/8 cup olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 leeks, white parts only (save the greens for stir fry), chopped
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
1/4 cup vegan beer (optional)
2/3 cup nutritional yeast
1 cup soy milk
3 cups water
2 tablespoons all-purpose seasoning (I used Simply Organic)
1 tablespoons fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Dash of rubbed sage powder
Pinch of cayenne pepper
4 green onions, chopped (for garnish)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot.
- Saute yellow onion and leeks until soft.
- Add remaining ingredients (except green onions) and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for half an hour.
- When potatoes are soft, use a hand-held blender to smooth into a creamy soup.
- Pour into bowls and top each with one chopped green onion. Makes about 4 large bowls.