December 23, 2009

Agave-Sweetened Banana Bread


This is my first attempt at refined-sugar-free vegan banana bread, and it turned out pretty nicely I think! I adapted the recipe from one I found on Dr. Weil's website. I was planning on going into a lengthy explanation about the low-glycemic index of agave nectar and how I am completely in love with it, but both Lila and I have Christmas colds, and I don't feel like doing a lot of heavy thinking right now.
In the meantime, here's what Dr. Weil has to say about bananas:
"Bananas have two stomach-protective mechanisms. First, they help the stomach lining to produce a thicker mucus barrier to protect against stomach acids. Second, compounds in bananas called protease inhibitors can help reduce bacteria in the stomach that have been shown to promote ulcers."

Sounds good to me!
Here's my version of the recipe...

1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 very ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
1/2 C agave nectar
3 T unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 T ground flax seed
2 T toasted wheat germ
  •  Heat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Lightly oil a standard loaf pan.
  • Mash the bananas. Mix together with agave nectar, vanilla and applesauce in a small bowl. Set aside.
  • In a larger bowl, mix all dry ingredients together except wheat germ.
  • Pour wet mixture onto dry mixture and stir together.
  • Pour batter into very lightly oiled/sprayed loaf pan.
  • Sprinkle toasted wheat germ on top.
  • Bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
  • Makes 8 servings. 
  • Enjoy!

2 comments:

two vegan boys said...

I really like your blog. We are a vegan family in Texas too. Happy Holidays.

JAS said...

Agave is my bff these days. thanks for the recipe. i will try this one out!