November 3, 2014

Raspberry Waffle Syrup


I am forty-one years old and pre-menopausal. Is that something I shouldn't talk about online? I don't care! It's a living hell. And no amount of hormonal-type (i.e. of animal origin) food avoidance is helping. I'm as pimply as a teenager, and I have daily hot flashes that my daughter's Girl Scout troop director accurately described as "my own private summer." And, hey sue me buddy, but sometimes a pimply, middle-aged woman having a hot flash needs a got-dang waffle, and sometimes there's no syrup in the house. So, she hits the internet and finds a solution. In this case, it was homemade raspberry syrup. I'd purchased two cases of raspberries the day before because they were on sale for 99 cents a case, which is a steal! So, now we're here. This syrup is delicious. We were spooning it out of the saucepan before it was even cool. Give it a try, and enjoy!

HOMEMADE RASPBERRY SYRUP
2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
1 3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • In a medium saucepan, combine 1 3/4 cups water with sugar. 
  • Add raspberries and bring to a boil.
  • Reduce heat to medium-low. Allow mixture to simmer for half an hour, stirring occasionally.
  • Place the mixture in a fine, mesh sieve and press to release all of the liquid into a bowl or large cup. Return liquid to saucepan.
  • Whisk in cornstarch remaining tablespoon water.
  • Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook one minute, stirring constantly.
  • Remove from heat. Allow to cool before serving.
  • Can be stored in the refrigerator up to a week in an airtight container.
  • Enjoy!

No comments: