November 11, 2010

Chunky Chickenless Noodle Soup


Well, guess what. We're all sick again. My daughter manages to bring home more germs from preschool than I ever thought existed in nature. It's just head colds all around, but it still stinks for us.
My absolute favorite thing to eat when I'm sick is Amy's Low Fat No-Chicken Noodle Soup, but at almost four bucks a can, I don't get to eat it unless I find it at the salvage store. And that happens very rarely. So, today, I thought I'd try out my own soup recipe. I just used what I had on hand, threw in a little knowledge about healing foods, and this is what I came up with - a warming, comfy bowl of soup, perfect for fighting off a head cold and curing the achies. Here's the recipe...

12 ounce package of your favorite noodles (I used rotini)
1 medium yellow onion, diced (onions have antiviral properties)
4 cloves of garlic, minced (antibiotic and antiviral properties)
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
2 celery stalks, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups vegetable stock or No-Chicken Broth
1 package of chicken-flavored seitan, cubed
1/8 cup (or more, to taste) nutritional yeast (adds all-important B12 vitamin)
1 tablespoon All-Purpose Seasoning (or any combo of your favorite seasonings)
Salt and pepper, to taste
Pinch of paprika
Dash cayenne (opens up those sinuses)
3 green onions, chopped (more antibacterial support)
  • Cook the noodles as instructed on packaging.
  • While noodles are cooking, saute all veggies (except green onions) with olive oil in a large pot until tender.
  • Add broth to veggies and bring to a low simmer.
  • Add spices, to taste. Feel free to add any additional savory spices you like.
  • Add seitan and continue simmering, stirring occasionally, until warmed through. 
  • Add noodles and stir.
  • Add green onions and stir.
  • Makes about 8 servings.
  • Enjoy with crackers and hot tea!
NUTRITION FACTS (per serving):
Calories: 284.7 / Total Fat: 5.1g (Saturated Fat: 0.5g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.9g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2.7g) / Cholesterol: 0.0mg / Sodium: 779.2mg / Potassium: 143.6mg / Total Carbohydrates: 43.3g (Dietary Fiber: 4.1g, Sugars: 3.8g) / Protein: 16.8g

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, I'm fighting a cold also - and this looks awesome! Thanks for sharing.

vegan.in.brighton said...

That looks like a fantastic bowl of soup.

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! The Kroger near me has the No-Chicken Broth on sale. I think I'll have to run back and get some.