Yeah, yeah, I know... My quiche has fallen apart. I'm actually still working on perfecting this recipe, but it turned out really tasty last night, so I thought I'd go ahead and share what I've got so far.
The problem here was twofold:
- I was impatient and didn't let it cool before I sliced into it.
- I didn't properly press my tofu, so that added quite a bit of excess water to my quiche.
1 frozen vegan pie shell (I recommend Wholly Wholesome)
1 block extra firm tofu, drained/pressed/crumbled
1 cup vegan cheddar, shredded
6 large white mushrooms, sliced or chopped
1 cup loosely packed spinach leaves, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
Handful of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon paprika
1/8 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered - for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place all ingredients, except garnishes, into a large bowl and stir until well-mixed.
- Spoon into pie shell and press with back of spoon until top is level.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes. Watch closely - don't burn your crust!
- Remove from oven, allow to cool at least 10 minutes.
- Top with chopped tomatoes.
- Makes 6 servings.
NUTRITION INFO (per serving, calculated with a whole wheat shell):
Calories: 365.7 / Total Fat: 23.7g (Saturated Fat: 7.1g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.3g, Monounsaturated Fat: 5.4g) / Cholesterol: 0mg / Sodium: 718.8mg / Potassium: 468.0mg / Total Carbohydrates: 26.2g (Dietary Fiber: 9.1g, Sugar: 4.3g) / Protein: 18.8g